High LDL cholesterol
Cholesterol is an essential fat type in your body. Cholesterol is necessary for some body activities like vitamin D synthesis or hormone production. Your body produces the necessary cholesterol in liver also you take extra cholesterol with foods.
Cholesterol needs lipoproteins to travel in your body; these lipoproteins are
- High density lipoprotein HDL – good cholesterol
- Low density lipoprotein LDL-bad cholesterol
HDL cholesterol transports the cholesterol from tissues to liver and reduces your general cholesterol level. This process is called reverse transport of cholesterol so HDL is called good cholesterol.
LDL cholesterol transports cholesterol from liver to the tissues. High LDL level causes hardening and narrowing in arteires and increases cardiovascular diseases risk like heart attack and stroke.
High LDL- bad cholesterol causes
- Diet; eating too much high cholesterol foods like unsaturated fat, trans fats, fast food, fried foods, processed meats, sugary products, etc increases LDL cholesterol level
- Obesity; wrong diet increases your overall body weight and belly size and increases bad cholesterol level and heart attack risk
- Inactive life style and lack of exercises cause increasing in LDL level and decreasing in HDL level. Both of these level changes increase cardiovascular diseases risk
- Smoking has a lowering effect on your good cholesterol-HDL level as 15%. Smoking increases LDL cholesterol and also damages the walls of your arteries
- Diseases like diabetes, liver disease, hypothyroidism, kidney disease
- Medication; some kind of medicines may affect your LDL cholesterol level like hypertension medications, acne treatment medications
- Genetic factors; a type of gene controls the LDL level in your body and you take this gene from your parents
- Older age is an another factor that increases bad cholesterol level