Thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland that is placed in front of your neck. It is found below the Adam’s apple. Thyroid gland is an endocrine gland, has 2 lobs and produces thyroid hormones T3 and T4 by using iodine. Thyroid hormones are vital hormones for your body. Thyroid hormones regulates your basal metabolic rate, body temperature, energy production, lipid and carbohydrate metabolism, growth of baby, bone development, blood pressure and heart rate.
There are 2 types of thyroid disorders as low thyroid hormone production hypothroidism and excesive production of thyroid hormones ; hyperthyroidism. There are some common symptoms of thyroid disorders;
Thyroid disorder symptoms
Fatigue and sleep disorders
- Hypothyroidism: Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of hypotyroidism. You always want to sleep or you sleep more than normal but still you feel tired and feel your energy low.
- Hyperthyroidism: Hyperthyroidism usually causes difficulty sleeping and you fell tired. Excess activity of thyroid gland causes sleeplesness, increased heart rate so you feel nervous and you can’t fall asleep.
- Hypothyroidism: You gain weight or it is hard to lose weight; this is the most common symptom of hypothyroidism. Thyroid hormones regulates basal metabolism and hypothyroidism reduces your metabolic rate.
- Hyperthyroidism: You may lose weight in spite of eating normal and enough.
- Hypothyroidism: You may feel more depressive and sad than normal. Reason is decreased serotonin hormone becasue of low thyroid hormone level. Also you may have low concentration and poor memory in hypothyroidism
- Hyperthyroidism: Hyperthyroidism related with anxiety and panic attack. You can’t relax enough in hyperthyroidism. Also too much thyroid hormone may cause low concentration problem.
- Hypothyroidism: Thyroid hormone level changes may reduce bowel movements and you may have constipation for a long time.
- Hyperthyroidism: High levels of thyroid hormones causes diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome.
Joint and muscle problems
- Hypothyroidism: Insufficient thyroid hormones and long term untreated hypothyroidism may cause peripheral neuropaty. You may feel numbness and tingling in your arms and feet because of the damaged nerves. Also hypothyroidism may cause joint pain, stiffness, muscle aches, swelling of small joints.
- Hyperthyroidism: You may have joint problems and pain while you are carrying something in your hands or climbing stairs.
Irregular menstruation , infertility and libido problems
- Hypothyroidism: Your menstrual period may be more painful, frequent and longer than normal. Also thyroid hormone deficiency may cause infertility, decreased libido and hormonal problems.
- Hyperthyroidism: Excess thyroid hormones may cause irregular and short menstrual period.
Hair and skin problems
- Hypothyroidism: Your hair may be limp, lifeless and dry also hair loss may occur in hypothyroidism. At the same time low thyroid hormone level may cause eyebrow and eyelash loss. Low thyroid hormone level slows down your metabolic rate and cause dry skin and nail breaking.
- Hyperthyroidism: High thyroid hormones level may cause typical hair loss. Your skin is tender and thin in hyperthyroidism condition.
- Hypothyroidism: Low thyroid hormone level reduce metabolism, drops your body temperature. Your hands and feet are cold and also you feel cold in hypothyroidism.
- Hyperthyroidism: You may feel hot and you sweat because of high thyroid hormone level.
- Hypothyroidism: Low thyroid hormones may cause high cholesterol level. Your cholesterol level may be high even though you make exercises and healthy diet.
- Hyperthyroidism: Your cholesterol level may be low unexpectedly.
- Hypothyroidism: People who have low thyroid hormones have 2-3 times higher risk of hypertension.
- Hyperthyroidism: In high thyroid hormone condition, your diastolic blood pressure may be normal but systolic blood pressure may be found higher.
- Hypothyroidism: Heart rate is regulated by thyroid hormones. Your heart rate may be less 10-20 beats than normal in hypothyroidism.
- Hyperthyroidism: High thyroid hormone level increases heart rate and may cause palpitation ( hard and fast heart beat).