HDL cholesterol blood test
HDL blood test is a type of laboratory test that is done to measure the level of HDL good cholesterol level in your blood. Cholesterol is fat type and a waxy substance that your body needs for some metabolic activities like hormone or vitamin D production. Your body produces the necessary cholesterol itself and also you take extra cholesterol with foods.
High cholesterol increases heart attack and stroke risk so cholesterol blood test is important to protect your heart and arteries.
There are 2 type of lipoproteins in your body as HDL ( good cholesterol) and LDL ( bad cholesterol). These lipoproteins are responsible for cholesterol transportation in your body. HDL cholesterol transports the excess cholesterol from tissues to the liver; this process is called reverse transport of cholesterol.
The amount of reverse transport of cholesterol reduces cardiovascular diseases risk.
HDL good cholesterol blood test
HDL blood test preparation
- Basically no preparation is needed for HDL cholesterol test but your doctor may request you to have a lipid profile test which contains total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides blood tests.
- If you’ll have the HDL cholesterol test in lipid profile you may need to fast for 10-12 hours. Only water is allowed.
- Don’t use any medication before HDL cholesterol test without asking your doctor.
- Postpone your HDL blood test if you are sick; your cholesterol levels may change during an illness.
HDL cholesterol test procedure
- A tube of blood is needed for HDL cholesterol test.
- Nurse or technician cleans the area with an antiseptic where your blood will be drawn.
- An elastic band is tied around your upper arm.
- A needle is inserted in your vein which is inside of your elbow or on the back of your hand.
- You may feel a little pain during blood collection.
- Nurse applies a sterile bandage on the puncture area to stop bleeding after enough blood is collected.
HDL cholesterol reference ranges
- Normal male: > 40 mg/dL
- Normal female: > 50 mg/dL
- High: > 60 mg/dL