What causes it?
Its caused by many organisms like Staphylococcus , Streptococcus , Pneumococcus , Adenovirus , etc .
- Its usually both eyes that are effected
- Its highly contagious
- Usually it resolves on its own
- Grittiness ( feels like something is in the eye)
- Watery discharge and crusting in the corners of the eye
- The lids stick to each other especially in the morning
- Colored halos, because of flakes of mucus passing across the cornea may be present
- Conjunctival congestion ( the conjunctiva is pink or red )
These complications are rare but can occur : Superficial keratitis , an ulcer in the cornea , or a chronic conjunctivitis that may last for a very long time .
- Cleanliness , wash the eyes frequently with warm saline or clean water
- After having the doctor check , apply an appropriate eye drop to prevent the lids from sticking together and a suitable antibiotic eye drop
- The lids should never be bandaged because this can prevent the infectious discharge from escaping and promote a moist environment which some bacteria love .
- If your eyes are sensitive to bright lights then wear sun shades .
- Isolate yourself from people because this can be very contagious
- Avoid sharing towels
- Avoid touching the eyes
- Keep your hands clean at all times