Prediabetes diet is the daily eating habit for the people who have blood sugar level between 100-126 mg/dL and diagnosed as prediabetes. Prediabetes diet is one of the most important life style change to prevent diabetes. Prediabetes diet also may be called as insulin resistance diet. Fast weight gain, weakness, fatigue, depression are some of the symptoms of high blood sugar level and insulin resistance.
Insulin resistance may cause so many health problems like fatty liver, prediabetes and panic attack so prediabetes diet should be followed lifelong. Prediabetes diet helps healthy weight loss and protects you from diseases at the same time. Carbohydrates must have low glycemic index in prediabetes diet.
Nutrition tips for prediabetes diet
- Reduce fat amount in your food
- Try to eat more vegetables and fruits in your meals
- At least one of the foods should have low glycemic index in your meal
- Prefer fruits instead of desserts
- You can eat walnut, almond and nuts if your triglycerides level is low
- Prefer white meat like fish and chicken instead of red meat
- Try to prepare your food with olive oil
- Prefer low fat dairy products
- Prefer rye bread or whole wheat bread instead of white bread
Important topic about prediabetes diet
- Avoid refined carbohydrates like white wheat, they have high glycemic index
- White bread has high glycemic index than whole wheat bread and rye bread
- High fiber amount lowers glycemic index level in diet
- Refined and processed foods have very high glycemic index, try to eat natural foods
- Drink water instead of soda and other sugary drinks
- Eat salad with olive oil instead of hamburger or pizza
- Reduce your salt consumption
- Don’t skip your meals
As you can see prediabetes diet is a very important life style change to prevent diabetes like exercises. You can and prevent diabetes with very simple life style changes like regular exercises, being physically active and prediabetes diet.