A laboratory blood test may be stressful for both children and their parents. Your child may need a blood test when she/he is sick or your doctor may request blood tests to check and diagnose any conditions like allergy.
You can reduce the stress level and anxiety of your child by being honest. Your child may feel more comfortable if she/he knows what to expect during blood draw. You should not lie about the procedure, you can tell your child that blood draw may hurt a little but it won’t last long. You can prepare your child for blood draw with some easy steps;
- No matter how old your child, you should inform him/her about the blood draw procedure, by this way your child will have the chance to ask questions about blood draw and know what to expect. They can get rid of their negative thoughts about blood draw if you talk them honestly.
- If your child is younger than 3 years old, you can inform her/him just a short time before the blood drawing process.
- Don’t deceive your child about blood draw, tell the truth like how long it takes or how much it hurts. Don’t lie to not to lose her/his confidence
- You can tell him/her, why your child needs a blood test but you don’t need to give so much details.
- You can bring some toys that she/he likes so much, this can help your child to relax. You can distract your child with games, toys or singing during blood drawing.
- Let him/her free about to watch the blood draw procedure, she/he can look at the needle if she/he wants.